Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A discussion on open borders

What does collectivism home have to do with anything we have discussed.  And yes, private property rights, but who is stopping you from inviting anyone to your home?

You know “if all men were angels”, there would be no need for borders or government, sadly that is not the case with humanity.  If that were the case, we’d be in complete agreement, but until then borders are necessary.  Maybe in heaven things will be different.

Thanks again,

Rob

PS I claim no party, I firmly believe in Individualism.

From: Jacob Hornberger [mailto:jhornberger@fff.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 7:27 PM
To: Rob John
Subject: Re: Open borders

I didn't miss it at all. I said that this isn't Cuba where people see the entire nation as a collectivist home. Socialism is not the heritage of the US. our nation is not a collectivist home owned by the government. It is instead a nation consisting of privately owned properties. Each owner has the right to invite whoever he wants into his home or business. That's what freedom and private property rights are all about.

Me too!

Jacob

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014, Rob John <robjohn@rob-john.net> wrote:
I agree with what you said about our human rights but you missed the analogy of your house versus our house.  Our house is our country, our land.  Also you didn't mention anything about your locks on your doors, your windows.
I appreciate the conversation.
Sincerely, Rob
On Sep 9, 2014 5:24 AM, "Jacob Hornberger" <jhornberger@fff.org> wrote:
Hi Rob,

My house belongs to me, not to you, not to the government, and not to society. I have the right to leave it locked or unlocked. I also have the right to invite anyone I want into it, to eat, to visit, to work, or to live. Remember: It's my house (and my money).
The same goes for you. It's your house. You can refuse to invite anyone you want. You can lock yourself into it and never interact with anyone.It's your right. It's your house and your money.

You don't have the right to interfere with how I live my life, and I don't have the right to interfere with how you live your life.
Finally, this is not Cuba, where the government owns everything and the nation is considered to be a collectivist home, one that the government controls entry and exit to. This is the United States, a nation that is supposed to be based on private ownership of property, one in which people are free to own (and control) individual homes as their private property.

Have I answered your question?

By the way, I'll be on Stossel on Sept. 18 at 9pm on Fox Business making the case for open immigration. It's really the only concept that is consistent with liberty, free markets, and private property. Immigration controls are nothing but a socialist concept, which is why they produce chronic crises and chaos. Who wants to be a socialist?
Thanks for your note!
Best regards,

Jacob

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Rob <robjohn@rob-john.net> wrote:
Hi Jacob,

Sorry I am so late to respond back, but I have one lingering question regarding this subject.

Being that you believe in open borders, does this mean you never lock your car, and never lock your house doors and windows?  How do unlocked doors and windows protect your rights?

Rob John
The Individualist

From: Jacob Hornberger [mailto:jhornberger@fff.org]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 12:07 PM
To: Rob
Subject: Re: Open borders

I have the right to hire anyone I want and to associate with whomever I want and to invite into my home anyone I want. These are fundamental rights--freedom of association, liberty of contract, and economic liberty. It's my money, my business, my life, and my home. No one has the legitimate authority to take these rights away from me. You have the right not to associate or hire anyone you don't want to hire or associate with. Open borders protects your rights and mine. Closed borders infringe upon such rights.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Rob <robjohn@rob-john.net> wrote:
How does open-borders promote and protect our rights and liberty?  Protecting our rights is the most fundamental responsibility of government.

Rob John

From: Jacob Hornberger [mailto:jhornberger@fff.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:47 PM
To: Rob John
Subject: Re: Open borders

Open borders don't bring peace and harmony but rather are consistent with peace and harmony. The U.S. had open borders for more than 100 years after the Constitution called the federal government into existence. At Ellis Island there was a cursory TB inspection and that was it. Anyone could enter. On the southern border, no controls whatsoever, especially after Polk stole the northern half of Mexico in the Mexican War. Also, check out Argentina--open borders in the late 1800s and early 1900s, until Peron got it and rejected it, just like FDR. During the open border period period, Buenos Aires was a booming city--second largest on the eastern seaboard.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Rob John <robjohn@rob-john.net> wrote:
Nice idea, but where in history has open borders brought about peace and harmony?

Jacob Hornberger